Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tools for decision - making

Project Management. 

 I attended a workshop on Project Management at the University of Maryland yesterday. The most useful piece to me was the session on prioritizing - What next? What fascinating piece of Western Maryland history do I put on Whilbr next? There are criteria I have in mind - relevant, introducing new light on local history, from one of the three counties, primary source material, not just one family unless the family has a particularly important role in local or national arena (like Janice Beall's great grandfather), and of course all the required permissions and copyright clearances. Extra points if I find the topic of interest to me!

But once that is agreed, then how to decide among competing goods? I know I seen and used tools before, but I clearly need a refresher.  This tool seemed helpful - a grid like the one below.

Impact/ effort grid 



Effort




Impact

Easy
Moderate
Difficult
Major
1
2
4
Medium
3
5
7
Minor
6
8
9

 So we are looking at impact and effort.  Something that is easy to do and has major impact would be a great place to start.  1s and 2s are easy.  4, 5, 6 are important, but require planning. 7s need to get done. 8 are a low priority and 9s can be skipped or given to someone else.

I thought about recent collections put on Whilbr. The Cumberland Architecture.   3 -  medium impact, moderate effort. The ongoing This week 150 years ago this week - Civil War news from the Hagerstown newspaper - 2, moderate effort/impact. The Western Maryland Slavery site I am working on now, gathering materials from newspapers, wills, manumission records - I hope it is a 4 - much effort, and a major impact.   I know I've put up what I considered 6s - easy to do, but limited impact (i.e. few people who use the site.) But I know that with history and genealogy, others may have a very different take on what is significant. I'm hoping that with thinking about effort/impact in decision asking  I will spend time on fewer 9s.

No comments: