I had the opportunity at the end of September to attend the Polaris Users Group (PUG) conference in Dallas, TX. Day one was dedicated to Polaris Staff updating the 300 or so attendees on new bits and pieces that are in development for future releases. Day two was for presentations from the user group.
General tidbits from Day 1
- Polaris is working with Muse Global on a federated search product
- Work is underway to make the upgrade process faster and shorter
- Receipt footers can be customized at the branch level - so everyone can advertise their own programs on their printed receipts - pretty cool.
- The 4.1 mobile PAC will support enriched content (book covers etc.)
- In 4.1 we will be able to pick the fields that we want displayed on search results
- We will be able to do a checkout limit (if we choose to) on associated items. Example - limit of 5 movies which could be any combination of DVD and Blu-ray discs
- The acquisitions module will be able to split the FY - duplicate the current year and roll over the new FY
- Regarding RDA - Polaris is waiting to see what happens with efforts to replace marc. It's all well and good to be ready, but until the "container" that is marc is changed, the new data fields won't be as meaningful as they could be...this was good to hear. I've been excited about RDA and Maria keeps telling me that it doesn't make sense with marc, but I needed to hear it again, in a bigger room. ;-)
- The system requirements for 4.1 will be the same as for 4.0 (we will likely go live on 4.0 and then do an upgrade to 4.1 within the first 6 months or so). However, version 4.2 which is slated for January 2013, will not work with Windows XP. Another good excuse to upgrade computers!