Monday, September 30, 2013

ARSL Conference 2013





 “Empowering Small Libraries”
Omaha, NE 9/26/13-9/28/13


Day Three Highlights
Finishing the conference this morning, I attended “The Future is Now” presented by Andrea Berstler, director of the Wicomico Public Library System. She challenged us to spend time now to prepare for the future of our libraries.  Instead of thinking outside the box, what if there was no box? There is no box. There are no rules. We need to think beyond the limitations we perceive- they are only limitations in our minds. I was especially inspired and empowered by this quote:

 “Yes, I think it's okay to abandon the big, established, stuck tribe. It's okay to say to them, "You're not going where I need to go, and there's no way I'm going to persuade all of you to follow me. So rather than standing here watching the opportunities fade away, I'm heading off. I'm betting some of you, the best of you, will follow me.”
― Seth GodinTribes: We Need You to Lead Us

Ms. Berstler and I will be presenting more about ARSL and more about the sessions I attended at next year’s MLA/DLA conference. If you are interested in learning more about ARSL, please email me at mp01@washcolibrary.org or visit arsl.info.

Marilyn Pontius

1 comment:

Julie Z. said...

I am a big Seth Godin fan so I was thrilled to see his quote being touted at ARSL. Have you read his latest book, The Icarus Deception? I highly recommend it!