Monday, August 11, 2014

Staying on Top of Technology Trends

I just finished a class called Staying on Top of Technology Trends. It was offered by Infopeople and was a four week webinar. Because I am part of WMRL's Technology Interest Group, WMRL was kind enough to foot the bill for the course.
 I learned where to go to find out the latest and greatest in the technology, specifically for libraries.  If I choose trend watchers wisely, I won't have to weed through dozens of sites sending me information.
One thing that particularly interested me was the concept of Makerspaces.  They sound like a great idea.  We have trouble getting teenagers to come to the library, and if we had some makerspaces, I think we could attract more of them.  The only problems would be finding space and money!
I also thought the idea of '23 things' was interesting.  This is a program developed by the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.  The staff was given a list of 23 technologies they should be aware of such as RSS feeds and blogs.  I think this is a good idea.  I know our system would benefit from having all staff competent in basic technology skills.
I hope I can use some of the ideas I learned about in this course to help bring staff in Allegany County up to date on technology trends.

No comments: