Thursday, October 16, 2014

PUG 2014


Lake Onondaga
Lake Onongada, Liverpool, NY
Event: Polaris Users Group (PUG) 2014, Syracuse, New York, October 8-10th.

So this was a bitter sweet Polaris Users Group (PUG) as with the recent acquisition to the Innovative Group this was the last PUG at Syracuse, New York.  So I thought that it would be fitting to take some time and venture out to see Syracuse a little.  I've added some of the pictures for your enjoyment. 

What I learned at the last official PUG meeting:  Well, being the geek that I am, this year's PUG did not disappoint.  It was like I was in code heaven, lol!  There were so many sessions on SQL (Structured Query Language) reporting and queries, I thought I was literally going to jump out of my skin!
Where Megatron lives...I think!

On day one it was the Polaris Day opening with lots of information about the company and where they are headed.  It was a little different atmosphere than in previous years, but that is to be expected when 2 companies merge together.  We also learned that Innovative acquired VTLS (Visionary Technology in Library Solutions) in the recent months in addition to Polaris.  VTLS is out of Blacksburg, Virginia; a ILS system initially designed by and for Virginia Tech.  Innovative now has several ILS platforms available which includes Sierra, Millennium, Polaris, and now VTLS.

The best part of Polaris Day was a training session called "Find Tool SQL Queries".  It was everything I ever wanted to know about how to get a better query inside the PAC client tool.  I've always struggled because my queries never seemed to work because my SQL structure didn't match what it wanted.  But then that was the day that I finally found out why.  Ah..oh...ah!  It was like the skies broken open and I could hear the hallelujah choir!  Seriously, lol, it was one of those moments! So if you're in the PAC and you are wanting better queries when searching, please shoot me an email and I'll send you the presentation. (I don't think I can share it in this public forum.)  If there is some kind of recordset that you're looking to create and haven't been able to achieve it, please give me a call and I'll see if I can help.

Another class that was most memorable for me was a class called "Reporting Outside the Box".  With the change to Polaris there were some reports that we used to get via email, but with the change to Polaris there was no way to do that, or so it seemed.  I learned that I can set up permissions for users to be able to see reports via the Internet and the reports could be set up to be scheduled and emailed to the users.  Say what!?!  Finally, I can set up reports to be scheduled for mailing!  Oh the bliss! :)  (Yes, I am excited to start using this!)

Syracuse and the Erie Canal
Downtown Syracuse banks and the canal
I also liked a session called "Online Catalog Design" which was a System Admin session that showed some easy work-arounds for customizing the catalog. 

Overall it was a very good PUG, but still bitter sweet.  We are unofficially going to be merging with the Innovative Users Group (IUG). There are still some things to work through before it all becomes official.  The next users group for IUG will be in Minneapolis, Minnesota in April 2015.  I'm not sure if I will be there, but I do look forward to what is next for Polaris.

Freedom Trail map
My history moment for Jill -The Freedom Trail
One of the other big things coming with Polaris is the new cloud-based LEAP platform as a client tool.  The first module that they will be rolling out is the Circulation module which is a cloud based client tool for checking-in and checking-out materials.  There is also a module that allows web-based Patron registration.  A cloud-based client tool basically means that you can be on an iPad checking books in or out from the stacks and/or registering patrons remotely without having the standard windows client tool installed on the device, it's completely browser based.  It's the next revolution for ILS systems and Polaris has a gem with their new LEAP platform.  It was part of the reason that they merged with Innovative.  The early adopters of LEAP and Polaris 5.0 will be in November 2014.   Baltimore County and Carroll County have been early beta testers and will be moving to the new platform in November 2014.

So overall, PUG 2014 was another great success, I always learn so much and it's always great to see friends that I've made over the years.  Although we wont be returning to Syracuse, New York again, we will all have fond memories of the previous users groups.  We've only been with Polaris for a few years, but over the years I've developed great relationships with other Polaris users across the country.  I look forward to the new adventures with the IUG meetings.  Since IUG is a global company with offices around the world serving 66 countries, I'm sure I'll be meeting and making new friendships from colleagues from all over the world.  :)

The pictures above:
1. Lake Onongada in Liverpool, NY (Polaris has it's office in Liverpool, a small community northwest of Syracuse.)
2. Niagara Mohawk Building (this art deco building was built in 1932, it was the headquarters of the nation's largest utility company Niagara Mohawk.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places. Cool building...still think that Megatron lives there, lol)
3. Clinton Square Park (red building is the Third National Bank building built in 1885; taller building is Syracuse Savings Bank built in 1875; the fountain was once a functioning section of the Erie Canal.)
4. The Freedom Trail (marks stop throughout Syracuse for the Underground railroad).





No comments: