Saturday, October 20, 2012

Storytime Extravaganza 10/15/12

I really enjoyed the extravaganza, especially learning new songs, books, and storytime themes to use. While the storytime crowd at my branch is considerably smaller, I will be able to down-size the activities. I was glad to have the opportunity during lunch to discuss suggestions on  how to get more participation. I have brought my hammer dulcimer to storytime, but a ukulele I could keep at the library would be awesome. I liked getting up and moving, but would have preferred fewer “jumping” songs. I liked the planning documents that were shared, along with the process of developing their storytimes. I hope I will have an opportunity to use them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There were a lot of good ideas presented at the Storytime Extravaganza. The program was lively and informative. I liked that we weren't sitting still the whole time; trying out some new songs/movement activities was fun and useful. I found it especially helpful when the presenters would take an old favorite and show different ways you could tell the same story with props, etc. I look forward to using some of the stories and music I saw presnted in my own storytimes.

Ashley Hutson said...

11I found Story Time Extravaganza to be an informative program as well. As someone who does not do story times very often, I thought this presentation provided many helpful resources and ideas that I could use. Some especially useful pointers they gave were sizing up books for appropriate age levels and using small but fun props to enhance the story time experience, such as the yarn "worm" along with a song. The presenters had some very fresh ideas, such as the bunny and the paint buckets trick to demonstrate the color wheel. The ukulele playing went on for a little too long (one or two songs would have sufficed). And I didn't like the singing and dancing. Playing parachute was great. Overall I think they did a great job and I learned a lot about story time. They obviously put a lot of time and work into what they do and it shows.