Friday, July 12, 2013

Twitter for Libraries


I have twitter but I don’t actively tweet.  I’ve heard that Twitter is where the young kids are hanging out now so I thought I should learn more about it.  I watched the webcast of MLA’s SMUG groups’ presentation on: Twitter for Libraries.  (The webcast is still available at: https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2013-05-30.1010.M.3E151848D9F8FF2DA6932CEF3E69AA.vcr&sid=2012176 if you are interested.)

The rules covered in the webcast are similar to those for all social media but it’s nice to be reminded to follow them all, especially: this is a marathon, not a race.  You have to keep going until you get an audience.  For this reason, I’m not sure Twitter is something we’ll start for the Boonsboro branch as I have enough time trying to keep our Facebook updated.  I learned from the webcast the do’s & don’ts of posting, what the heck those abbreviations mean (http://socialmediatoday.com/node/512987 ), and a couple of new twitter handles to follow.

No comments: