Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Assumption Follow-Up

Yesterday I wrote in my Leadership by the Cup post about how I was going to take time to recognize any assumptions I had about the first day of the leadership institute, write those assumptions down, and then follow up today on how they were proven wrong.

The main assumption I had about yesterday was that were were going to send most of our time with getting-to-know-you exercises that build trust and practice self reflection skills.

I was wrong. We only spent about 45 minutes on introductions and then the rest of the day kinda followed a formula of 1) facilitators present a concept, 2) the class reacts to it which leads into a very meaningful conversation where everyone in the class is contributing to the content. We did get to know each other and develop trust but through more serendipitous ways - by sharing personal leadership successes and challenges. We were encouraged to reflect at the end of the day using a worksheet that was provided for us in the binder but for the most part we were attempting to be in the present moment. 

I don't have any assumptions today because I haven't looked at the agenda and this is ok because they told us yesterday that they just need us to: show up, speak up, look up, team up, never give up, me lift others up. So with that, I've decided to treat today's leadership program like a gift and by not looking at the agenda I'm leaving the wrapping paper on till someone else takes it off. Hmm, I wonder how far I can take that metaphor...

No comments: