Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My Personal Vision Statement: Connect, Effect, Reflect.

The first day of the ALA Leadership Institute was rich with new people, new ideas, new authors to read and it would take me all day to do it adequate justice in blog format so, I've decided to write about just one aspect of the day: my personal vision statement, which was almost the very last thing we did.

The exercise was framed like this:

Imagine your leadership practice has a unique purpose - fulfilled through what you do, how you engage and work with others, and the way you work and live. Describe that purpose. 

I don't know about you but the first thing that came to mind was Steve Martin in the movie, The Jerk, and his 'special purpose,' but that's not the kind of purpose I am talking about here but it's funny to think about. 

I went through a couple revisions and finally I decided that my leadership purpose (aka personal vision statement) is this:


Where:
C = Connect
E = Effect
R = Reflect
F = Fun

Didn't realize you we're going to need to remember your order of operations to read this blog post, did you? 

In more words, my purpose as of this writing is: to connect people with people and opportunities in order to effect positive change while reflecting on that process and doing it all with fun. 

I'm not completely satisfied with how that sounds so, I'll be changing it later and will let you know what the updated version is. Or better yet, why don't you tell me what your leadership vision statement is and/or make recommendations to how I can revise mine?




No comments: