Thursday, August 15, 2013

Leadership by the Cup: Attitude of Gratitutde

Ok.  Enough.  Seriously. The tea bags are becoming prophetic.

Today is the last day of the ALA Leadership Institute and what does this morning's tea bag say?

An attitude of gratitude brings opportunities. 

What a nice leadership trait to have: gratitude. We must add it to the long list of leadership qualities I wrote about in my Twinkle Lights post. 

This trait not only embodies being able to recognize when I've received the generosity of others but also the ability to express my thanks to those individuals. Additionally, i think it is just as important to recognize when I've been generous to others and myself, and to thank myself as well. 

As I reflect on the past three days and four nights of the institute here is what I am grateful to others for:

- encouragement and support from colleagues to apply to this program
- financial support from my employer 
- a ride to and from the airport from my sister
- a ride to and from the resort from A1 limo
- a skilled airplane pilot who got me to IL safely
- friendly resort staff
- a spacious and clean room with bee friendly toiletries and a balcony with a screen door
- plentiful and tasty food
- Suzanna sharing with me a glass of her wine
- a patient boyfriend who didn't mind only talking but once a day
- inspiration and the time to write
- the time and solitude to meditate
- lots of laughing
- two skilled and dedicated facilitators who organized and lead a rich program, complete with a resource-filled binder and who didn't kill me with PowerPoint and who shared illustrative stories, exhibited patience, flexibility, humility, good humor, and an insane amount of expertise and knowledge. 
- 39 talented, passionate, diverse, self-disclosing classmates who opened up to share their stories and perspectives, listened to others' stories, walked us down their ladders, offered suggestions for solutions, recommended books to read, provided rich conversations, played bocci ball with me (and totally kicked my butt), offered rides to the mall, Ikea, and around Chicago in general, and who came together to create a wonderful and energizing first ALA Leadership Institute experience. 

- Also, the wifi - otherwise you wouldn't have the pleasure of reading this till I got back to the office. :)

I'm sure I've left off some things so, I guess I'm grateful for the ability to edit this post later. 

What are you grateful for?

No comments: