Thursday, May 7, 2015

Games, Gadgets & Makerspaces @ Computers in Libraries 2015

Brown Dog Gadgets is a great resource for programmables.
Games, Gadgets, & Makerspaces

I would describe this event as a highly interactive technology & coding petting zoo. I got to meet people who are providing new technologies for libraries to use in various ways. This was a pretty timely event as it nicely complemented the Coding in Libraires training that I had just attended the Thursday prior.

What kinds of technologies did I get to see/experience?

You may recognize the squishy circuits - 2nd from the right.
So what? 
Well, Jennifer Hopwood (SMRLA) and I talked about possible coordinating staff development programming with NASA on using LittleBits in coding programs. Based on the feedback I've heard about the Code in Libraries workshop, many of our staff want/need additional practice with these technologies before they feel comfortable facilitating a program on their own. Perhaps, NASA could provide that programming link? 

Also, I've been thinking about WMRL's Emerging Technology Collection. Perhaps it is time to take it into a new direction. We started with mobile technologies but now the trend in library educational programming seems to be turning toward coding, we may need to reconsider what we buy for our collection and how we make it available. Perhaps we could but together coding programming kits: one for a Squishy Circuits program, one for a LittleBits program, one for an Arduino program, etc. More on this when I write my post about NYPL's TechConnect (spoiler alert: my mind was blown!)
I even made my own light-up badge!

I also think this is important information to share with the WMRL Technology Interest Group since they are kind of tasked with staying on top of tech trends, etc. . . 

No comments: