Saturday, March 30, 2013

Joys and Pains of Middle Management



March 19, 2013
Presented by:
Janet Vogel (Frederick County)
James Kelly (Carol County)
Morgan Miller (Cecil County)


Much of this workshop was refresher for me.  Identifying and relating to personality types was similar to other tools I am familiar with. A few years ago I was introduced to “True Colors” by Carolyn Kalil which I found very similar.   This workshop got me thinking about the importance of communication, and how to effectively communicate- with my co-workers, my peers, and my boss.   An aspect of management that could be explored more is how to get people to do what you want them to do when you have no “managerial” authority over them. Another management workshop could be more on managing your boss and managing your peers.

One of my favorite Middle Managers



1 comment:

Julie Z. said...

Marilyn,

Thank you for your post!

I'd recommend reading Dan Pink's new book, "To Sell is Human." This book is all about how to get others to do what when you don't have any managerial say over them.

I think your point about managing your boss and peers is well taken and without having done any research into the matter, I suspect it all comes down to our good friend, communication. However, it's something I'll keep on my radar!