Saturday, March 16, 2013

Taking a Preservation class at Clarion University

While I am currently enrolled in four courses through Clarion University, I decided to make the focus of this particular blog post the ideas and concepts I have been learning in my Preservation and Conservation class (which began in January and runs through May). I originally enrolled in the course because of my interest in archives in special collections, and I assumed it would be beneficiary in that respect. However, as the course continues this semester, I am learning there are many benefits for any library collection to be aware of basic preservation techniques.

My instructor, Professor Susan Frakes, first made clear to us the distinction between preservation and conservation. Conservation typically refers to repairing the aftermath of damaged library material (either through mechanical or chemical means). Preservation covers this too, but also encompasses the idea of preventative measures to prevent library material damage in the first place. It includes not only steps taken to prolong the life of library materials through proper environmental measures (keeping consistent temperatures, filtering out UV light from the stacks, proper air filtration and ventilation, etc.), but also the instruction and education of staff members to be made aware of ways to increase the longevity of library materials as well as implementing policies on food and drink within proximity to the stacks. Even simple shelving techniques (shelves are neither too full nor allowed to fall slack, overly tall books should be shelved flat, not with the open pages faced downward) can prolong the life of any collection. 

Much of the material in this course seems self-evident at first glance, but in reality, many simple steps to preserve library materials are often ignored. And while the more specific topics of this course, such as learning the proper pH level of paper to be considered "acid-free" and how to measure it will come in handy if I ever find myself in an archival environment, I believe that the more basic aspects of this course have made me more aware of the steps I personally can take in the circulation department to help maintain our collection.

No comments: