Thursday, March 26, 2015

Best Books of 2014 Kid & YA Fiction

Author Name: Ashley Fedele
Library System: Kent County Public Library

Top 3 things learned:
1. The wonderful variety of Kid Fiction books
2. How to have a variety of books to choose from in the Kid Fiction category
3. Reader's Advisory for Kid Fiction

How to implement: 
I can more easily recommend children's fiction to interested parties by having a well rounded group of newer books to share.

Additional learning:
I would really have loved to see a more balanced look at YA fiction. I found the RA aspect was too heavily focused on 'issue' books. Where was high fantasy? Romance? Mystery? etc. I really struggled to find books I have actually been asked for (by topic). While those books are most likely excellent reads, I really wanted a much more balanced look at the age grouping.

I would love to see more of these done in various genres (mystery, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, true crime, etc.). So many people only read one genre and perhaps having a basic "guide" to a different genre would be interesting.

No comments: