Thursday, March 26, 2015

YALSA Institute: Beginner's Guide to Teens in Libraries

Author Name: Christopher McGee
Library System: Allegany County Library Systems

Top 3 things learned: 
To be perfectly honest, I can't say I learned anything. I'm not a beginner in teen services. I had several classes in library school, and I try to stay up on teen services trends. I still enjoyed the workshop, though. Since I don't work with teens on a regular basis, it was nice to gets some reinforcement for what I "think" I know. :)

How to implement: I continue to be an advocate for teens. I will support the
activities of our staff members who do actively work with teens. I do work directly with Kate Livengood and Kate Metzger, both of whom were at this
workshop and provide teen services in their branches.

Additional learning: I should have marketed this workshop harder to our staff
members who shy away from teen services or don't desire a teen presence in
the library. Instead, we made the workshop voluntary; consequently, our staff who have an interest in teen services attended. It seemed a little like it was preaching to the choir.

No comments: