Thursday, March 26, 2015

Best Books of the Year Series

Author Name: Christopher McGee
Library System: Allegany County Library Systems

Top 3 things learned: I have lists of titles for Juvenile Fiction, Juvenile Nonfiction, and YA Fiction. I guess each list is "a thing," even though they contain numerous things each. :)

How to implement: I will use these lists for reader's advisory. I am working
the desk at Frostburg now for one day each week. In addition to tween and
teen patrons, that branch also has a number of education students from
Frostburg State who come in looking for titles that are geared for these age
groups.

Additional learning: It would be helpful if the presenters gave less summary
and subjective opinion (e.g. "I really loved this book.") and spoke a little
more toward appeal factors to help us place the book in the right patron's
hands. There was some of this, but it would be more beneficial to have that
be a greater focus for this type of webinar. That said, I greatly appreciated these sessions, and I thought the online format worked well.

1 comment:

Rank Xone said...

Nevertheless the entrepreneur in me talks about reading an average book in a different way. Sci-Fi books There's a fixed period of time, so every time you read a book that doesn't provide much value, there's the lost opportunity cost to consider as well.