Friday, June 21, 2013

MLA Conference


While attending MLA, I attended the trainings listed below.  If you want more information, please contact me and I would love to talk more about them (mfoltz@washcolibrary.org).  

-          FOCUS ON GENRES – We learned how to narrow down titles into sub-genres (not just a mystery but a cozy mystery).  The trainers provided websites for Reader’s Advisory that could be very useful, Bill Taylor, wrote a wonderful blog post on this topic already. Please refer to Bill’s entry for more information.  I hope to apply my new genre knowledge to RA services.

-          SCVNGR Hunt – The presenters went over how to set up a scavenger hunt through the SCVNGR program.  They demonstrated how it can be used by planning a SCVNGR hunt that we could do in the conference center.  They liked the app but it had limitations: only 5 spots could be used per SCVNGR (free version) and the statistics were unreliable.  They suggested other scavenger hunt apps that could be used but there wasn’t a clear leader scavenger hunt apps, it’s whichever app would work best for your situation.  Although I wouldn’t run this app for a scavenger hunt, I learned that there are apps out there to help facilitate these adventures.

-          Speed Mentoring – I got to talk with other librarians about their backgrounds and was given advice on my career.  I purposely chose to mingle with other branch managers but they were in larger systems so our experiences weren’t very comparable.  I did benefit from this training my making new contacts and being inspired to keep searching for a mentor.

-          STEM Discovery Programming – This session was split into 4 stations: (1) Scribbler machine, (2) Makey Makey, (3) Tweens/Teens programming, and (4) Children’s programming.  I got to play with a Makey Makey, I learned from Jeff that we have these in the system.  I LOVED the scribbler machine, you can program it to move and then put a pen in the top so kids can use it to draw shapes on the floor.  I could see my teens at Boonsboro loving this! (http://www.parallax.com/tabid/455/Default.aspx)  The Tweens/Teens program focused on science with, which seemed to me, science fair projects that were cheap & easy for kids to do.  (I have a handout if anyone is interested!) The Children’s programming station was very basics on things we do now – reading children’s book and then having hands on learning/counting/etc.  I’ve been looking into these ideas for STEM programming since I have returned from the conference.

-          Mad about Libraries – the founder of Mad magazine talked about censorship in libraries.  This presentation was an open discussion of how different systems deal with censorship issues – graphic novels, internet usage, etc.  It was interesting to hear other’s opinions on these issues.

-          Radical Customer Service – was a big conversation regarding what MD libraries are doing to provide great customer service.  It was nice to hear what other counties were (and were not) doing in customer service and why. I learned from the training to keep questioning “Why” when given (or taken) a no answer from anyone.

-          Graphic Novel collection building – was a local comic book shop owner who came in and presented a history of comic books/graphic novels, what we should have in stock, and why graphic novels are important. The handouts from this presentation were very useful (I’ve already lent the notes to another staff member but if you want to see them, please let me know.) I hope to be able to look into graphic collections more and recommend some  titles.  I hope that if WCFL develops an adult graphic novel collection that I will be a resource for them. Although, I still need more knowledge in this area as it is ALL new to me.

-          The closing luncheon was a presentation called Access Schmaccess by Eli Neiburger. He was a very effective presenter and had my attention the entire time.  His longer presentation is available online (I hope to have time to watch it again - http://webcast.gigtv.com.au/Mediasite/Play/1e065b11e6924a0a908cebb76d7917c71d ).  His view of the futures of libraries is that we will be the center of the community and evolve to offer things (telescopes, etc.) and not just books.  He thought libraries should become places where people create (Makers Spaces??) their own content (sound studios, movies, etc.).  He seems to be an up and coming voice in the library world so it’s beneficial to be aware of his message.

No comments: