Friday, June 21, 2013

Pickles!

Mou Chakraborty and Sharon Payne
June 17, 2013

"Give 'em the pickle!" has always been my customer service style, although I had never thought of it in terms of food. Breaking customer service down to the four areas: Service, Attitude, Consistency, and Teamwork is a useful way of analyzing one's service philosophy and practices.The exercise of identifying pickles from the library and from individuals was interesting- it was easier to identify pickles from the library.  I want to work on our consistency within the branch by identifying our pickles and making sure we are all offering them. A few other suggestions I picked up include offering laptops and eReaders for inhouse use, which I hope to implement in the near future. This was another great workshop offered by WMRL, and I highly recommend it.

One of the best pieces of advice I took from this workshop (I found myself using this over and over this week) was telling myself "I like this person! I am going to make this person happy." instead of giving in to my normal internal groan when people walked up to the desk.  (It's been a tough week). But tonight I am serving up lots of pickles-sweet and dill- as part of our Teens-After-Hours Hobbit feast! And I know they are appreciated!

No comments: